How Agents of Change Take a Work Sabbatical
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
After 21 years in business, I finally decided to take a sabbatical. If you’ve been wondering if you can take a sabbatical, or how to make it happen, I’ll share my process in this episode!
And, if you’re not sure why you should take a sabbatical, I’ll share with you why I’m taking mine, and maybe it will resonate with you.
- Roadtrip 1997
- divorce; guilt over not being w/my girls all the time
- Road trip seemed like the most impactful way to create memories.
- 1st sabbatical after 21 years
- 50; full of energy and passion, but for how long?
- Time to recharge those batteries.
- Personal and professional growth:
- Evolution of my business
- Someday offer the same to employees
- Create a plan
- Prep yourself and your team (and your clients if possible)
- Have a point person while you’re away, some sort of hierarchy
- Do a dry run
- Decide how much unplugging you’re actually going to do
- Not checking email (read your autoresponder)
- Not sure about social
- Did plan out the podcasts
- The planning
- Cheaper than hotels. Buying (used) was cheaper than renting.
- Also set aside money into a new account that is earmarked for this trip
- Put speaking gigs into that account for special events along the trip like whitewater rafting and hot air balloon trip
- Planning (how much how little)
- Paying bills / managing things at home (mostly automated)
- What to bring (less is more, especially since we’re not hiking the Andes)
- Joined popup forum
- Have done a ton of research!
- Show Notes